■ These “men’s-wear-inspired” pieces have been a women’s wardrobe staple since the 1950’s. Fitted blazers and pantsuits have been around for about 150 years, but today’s newest trend is the oversized blazer worn in a variety of ways. And can you wear it at middle age? You bet gurl!!
■ Remember when everything had to be super sleek and fitted? Well, keep your classic blazer for another day because the oversized blazer trend it just that —oversized! Big. Boxy. Bold. Think loose, long sleeves, with just a hint of those 80’s padded shoulders. If you’re my age, this should be that touch of nostalgia you’re maybe looking for.
How to wear it:
Pair the look with leather leggings and a cami like I did above.
Pull out your favorite denim, hoodie and sneakers for a full-on Dad look.
Make it more office-appropriate with matching trousers and a button-down.
Jazz it up even more buttoned over a mini skirt, dress, or shorts with knee-high boots or sandals and a bralette.
■ What’s your favorite way to rock this trend? If you haven’t tried it yet, will you? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Budget friendly casual style is my kind of style. 💰
⋆ Now I’m not saying I don’t love expensive things. I mean if I did, I’d be lying! But that being said, if I can find stylish items that are cute and affordable, to me, that’s a double win I can’t ignore. I would rather spend money on my family more than myself, so I tend to look for fashion that will hold up and not break the bank.
⋆ Check out this affordable outfit I put together for an every-day casual look. Super perfect for going out to pick up your Boxing Day sales today! This outfit incorporates one of my favorite current trends: combat boots. To get this look, you can go for the pricier Dr. Marten’s for around $200 CDN or check these babies out at Ardene’s for only $30 CDN! I won’t say the quality will be the same—obviously you will get better quality and real leather with Dr. Marten’s or another comparable brand—BUT, if you’re just looking to rock this trend without spending much money, these are a great option. They’re super cute and look pretty close to the real thing. I’ve worn them out to the post office in about 0° C weather and they’ve been great. I haven’t felt cold or wet from melt. I also like that they have a side zip for easy peasy put-on and take-off.
⋆ Pair these boots with your favorite boyfriend jeans or distressed high rise denim and you’re off to a running start! I bought mine online from Vici Collection (everything in this boutique is a must purchase) in the style Bailey. Unfortunately, last time I looked, mine are sold out but keep an eye out! I would size them exactly as you normally fit. I went up a size because I thought the boutique would likely fit smaller girls but I actually think I could have gone with my normal size. I found these Dani distressed high rise denim that are also super cute!
⋆ Hold them up with my favorite leopard print belt from H&M (currently sold out!) or this similar one from Mark’s. Honestly, this belt is a closet must-have! When not using it with your denim, you can use it to cinch a pretty summer dress, T-shirt dress, cardi, or blanket scarf. The uses are seriously endless and you can bet this print in a thinner belt won’t go out of style quickly – it’s a classic print and not big enough to be gaudy.
⋆ I must admit this is the kind of look I wear most days—casual, comfortable, neutral and classic. Being a true Canadian girl, I’m usually cold so sweaters are a definite need! I found this knit sweater (in black of course) and sized up from a L to an XL to give an oversized look I could front tuck to show off a bit of belt. For $16 CDN I’m not sure why I didn’t buy more colours! Find this steal and do it. I do find that Ardene’s fits smaller than other stores.
⋆ Get yourself a good pair of gold hoop earrings or check out my cheap knock-off also at Ardene’s ($10 CDN for 2 pairs of different sizes! Yes m’am!) and you’re good as gold! A gold hoop goes with everything, anytime, anywhere.
⋆ Is this an outfit you would wear and feel comfortable pulling off? I honestly think this look would be great on a size 0 up to any plus size! I also don’t feel out of place wearing this style in the middle-age range. Would you wear it? Let me know below, I’d love to hear from you! Have a great Boxing Day! I hope your Christmas was merry and bright!
⋆ That’s what I’ve been trying to do. Rock the quarantine. Rock the depression. Rock the gray hair. Get up, show up, and level up. Ok, ok, some days I don’t want to get up and other days I don’t even get up but I tell you, nothing helps the doldrums more than a fresh face of makeup and some new clothes!
Get up, show up, and level up.
⋆ I should have showed you the ‘before’ photos. Yikes. Prior to this ministry break I was burnt out, tired, unhealthy, and on the verge of letting bitterness take root in my heart. Ladies (and men)— don’t let people, or yourself for that matter, tell you that self-care isn’t important or isn’t spiritual enough. It is. You can’t give people anything if you are completely worn out or worse yet, dead. You have a calling here? Take care of your spirit, but also your mind AND body too so you can fulfill it! I’m learning. Self-care is so important.
Now on to outfit deets!
⋆ As you know, I love a good basic tee. This one is from Ardene’s in an XL because I don’t love a cropped top on a 50 year old! I went a little bigger than usual so I would avoid biscuit-tummy hang-out and it also gives me some room for a cute front tuck. If you don’t like skin-tight shirts either then size up. I also love neutral colours, one of which is olive green. I honestly think this shirt was only $6 CDN. Score on this find.
I went a little bigger than usual so I would avoid biscuit-tummy hang-out.
⋆ I have to admit, the faux leather pants look is amazing! I had a pair a year or two ago, before it was cool I guess. They’re too small on me now so I got these ones at Ardene’s. Let me tell you, these leggings are so comfortable, not hot (my prior ones made me so sweaty), and they look fantastic dressed up or down! Don’t want your butt to show? Make sure your tee is longer in the back or pair it with a cardigan!
⋆ Obviously I love my accessories. I don’t think I would have spent the past 3 years handmaking custom jewelry for women if I didn’t. Accessories can really bring an outfit from drab to fab in seconds! I love layering necklaces and bracelets and really showcasing my mood and personality with the pieces I choose. You can too by going classic with a simple gold chain or by going more bold with bright colours or statement accessories. Tassels add that trendy boho look that, so far, doesn’t seem to be going out of style.
⋆ The things that you purchase can even help change the world. 10% of my brand’s income goes to world-wide non-profits that are making a difference in the world. Right now I’m trumpeting The Canadian Cancer Society, just one of the many non-profits that we have given to over the past few years. There are lots of amazing brands out there, jewelry included, that are socially conscious and kingdom-minded. Watch where you spend your money and, when you can, try to partner with businesses that align with your values.
⋆ Now let’s talk makeup. I’ve been wearing makeup since the 7th grade. For real. My sister is 4 years older than me so I had lots of beauty influence and help as a young girl growing up. Over the past few years, I haven’t really taken makeup and beauty stuff too seriously. My biggest requirement in a mascara was that it wouldn’t run when I led worship (come on where’s my church girls at?!) Most days I don’t wear any makeup, especially in the summer, but I LOVE to experiment and create with it! Honest post right here – I got completely addicted to watching YouTube makeup video’s during this quarantine. Yes, I said it. I love watching these amazing women transform themselves from pretty to gorgeous with colour, powder, and creams. It’s just so fascinating and satisfying! If you’re at all creative you probably enjoy it as much as I do or trust me, you will if you watch just one video.
For this look, I used—
Rimmel Insta Flawless Primer
Stila Hide & Chic Liquid Foundation in Light 3
Rimmel Stay Matte Concealer in Porcelain (not recommended)
Nars ‘Orgasm’ blush (sorry mom)
Maybelline Master Chrome in Molten Gold
Physicians Formula Bronze Booster bronzer
3 colours from the 35OM Morphe palette on the eyes with a lighter colour from the Marcelle Quintet quad
some sort of Rimmel brow liner in Hazel which I still have to change; since my hair is so ashy now it doesn’t work but it’s all I have
L’oreal Infallible Eyeliner in black, Rimmel Transparent Powder
and a combo of L’oreal 401 and Maybelline 540 on my lips
⋆ I really don’t own that much makeup right now so I’ve been just throwing together whatever I can dig out of my drawer. That being said, since I’ve been doing more fashion and beauty posts (and enjoying those makeup videos), I’m going to be aligning with a professional makeup brand! I haven’t started yet but I can’t wait to introduce y’all to it and to wear it in my upcoming beauty posts! I’ve been trying to find a brand that is professional, excellent quality, good for the skin, helps others, and looks amazing, and I have found it! Watch for upcoming posts to find out more and to see some looks. You’ll even be able to purchase what you like and what I wear as well from me! So exciting!
To me, the essence of truly modern makeup is the freedom to be yourself, to express who you are.
Style is something each of us already has, all we need to do is find it.
—Diane von Furstenberg
I love being super–tough, but if I need to put on a dress and do my hair and makeup, I can do that too.
⋆ ‘Free-spirited-creative-artsy-rocker-babe’. I didn’t really set out to accomplish that look but this outfit is definitely giving off that vibe! What’s your favorite part of this look and what would you give a try in your own wardrobe? Let me know, I’d love to hear from you! ♥
◦ It’s a no-brainer to say that armchair travel and virtual fashion shopping have peaked due to this darn pandemic. I didn’t go any further than my dusty Canadian closet for today’s outfit, inspired by dreams of being abroad.
◦ One of my favorite ways to bring a hint of mystery and that classic foreign vibe to any outfit this season is with a French-styled beret. Pair it with Fall’s hottest haircut, a French bob, and you’re styling in some of the latest looks a’ la Emily in Paris. You can find a really affordable beret online at SHEIN for just $9 CAD, and a super affordable haircut in your very own bathroom.
◦ Now, can we all just pause a moment and say, “thank God” for the recent white runner fad? As my age progresses, I am all for comfort. This fairly new trend is a definite plus for running around and doing errands in style without getting the big blisters that we were so familiar with wearing uncomfortable heels. The white runners I’m wearing are from none other than Walmart Canada! Honestly, these are the perfect alternative to other brands that look the same but cost way more. Best yet, these ones even have a memory foam inside. So comfy and cute! These currently look sold out online but give their Search Engine a go and grab any pair of white sneakers for a great price – Walmart. You’ll be blazing the grocery store aisles in style and comfort.
◦ I always say you can’t go wrong dressing in black. To me, it’s the most flattering and forgiving “color” there is. In addition, if you’re vertically challenged like me, a monochrome palette from head to toe helps elongate and slim the body — a definite recommendation and two thumbs up from me for any body type. I also love the artsy vibe this look gives, and it’s the perfect background for a pop of color in your accessories. I apologize for the cut-off photo’s. For some reason I was completely inept at using my iPhone camera today (by the way, the camera on the Apple iPhone 11 Pro is amazing, the problem is the user). Note to self. Cutting yourself off at the ankle makes you look shorter.
◦ Big Hint ➢ Buy timeless pieces and pair them with current trends. I bought this olive-colored peacoat a few years ago and it has literally never gone out of style since. A modern peacoat is being called a ‘key piece’ for 2020, with luxury labels even putting their own spin on it. I bought this one from Old Navy is a size Medium, and I see on their website that they still have a very similar style available! I would definitely size up on this and if buying a new one I would at least buy a size Large. Check it out at this link ➢ Old Navy. I totally need to buy the camel-colored one as well! No, I am not being sponsored by anyone.
◦ Well, that’s it for today’s OOTD. See you soon for more musings and style, friend!